No matter how established your personal mindfulness practice is, sometimes you can use a little extra inspiration
Luckily, when it comes to mindfulness, there is no shortage of inspirational quotes you can use to give yourself that extra bit of motivation.
Jon Kabat-Zinn is the founder of the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, where he developed the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program, or MBSR.
Jon Kabat-Zinn Quotes
“The little things? The little moments? They aren’t little.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
“Wherever you go, there you are.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
“Mindfulness is a way of befriending ourselves and our experience.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
“The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
“Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Buddhist monk, author, and mindfulness teacher (whose many students include the above-mentioned Jon Kabat-Zinn) who was also nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Thích Nhất Hạnh Quotes
“To think in terms of either pessimism or optimism oversimplifies the truth. The problem is to see reality as it is.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
“Many people are alive but don’t touch the miracle of being alive.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
“The present moment is the only time over which we have dominion.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
“Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
“The feeling that any task is a nuisance will soon disappear if it is done in mindfulness.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
“Meditation is not evasion; it is a serene encounter with reality.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
Amit Ray is a mindfulness leader who has authored several popular books on mindfulness and mindfulness meditation.
“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
“Looking at beauty in the world, is the first step of purifying the mind.” – Amit Ray
“Open the window of your mind. Allow the fresh air, new lights and new truths to enter.” – Amit Ray
More inspiring life quotes!
Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet who’s had a massive influence on Muslim writingand culture. He has a huge following around the world and is actually one of the best selling poets in the USA. His works have been translated to many different languages, including Spanish, Turkish, German, Russian, Urdu, Arabic, French and Italian.
1. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
2. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.”
3. “Let the beauty we love be what we do.”
4. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
5. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
6. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.”
7. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.”
8. “The cure for pain is in the pain.”
9. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
10. “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.”
Gautama Buddha, also known as Siddhartha Gautama or simply the Buddha was the founder of Buddhism. According to the Buddhist tradition, Gautama was born in Lumbini, now in modern-day Nepal, and raised in the Shakya capital of Kapilvastu (Present day Tilaurakot, Nepal or Piprahwa, India.) He obtained his enlightenment in Bodh Gaya, gave his first sermon in Sarnath, and died in Kushinagar.
Here are some highly Inspirational Buddha Quotes that will enlighten your mind.
1. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
2. “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” – Buddha
3. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” – Buddha
4. “To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.” – Buddha
5. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha
6. “Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth.” – Buddha
7. “You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.” – Buddha
8. “There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.” – Buddha
9. “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” – Buddha
10. “To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” – Buddha
Socrates was a Greek philosopher, who is often considered to be the father of Western philosophy, and a key figure in the development of Western civilization.
Here is a collection of some best quotes from Socrates.
1. “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” – Socrates
2. “Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak.” – Socrates
3. “Let him that would move the world first move himself.” – Socrates
4. “Be as you wish to seem.” – Socrates
5. “To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.” – Socrates
6. “An unexamined life is not worth living.” – Socrates
7. “To find yourself, think for yourself.” – Socrates
8. “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” – Socrates
9. “Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.” – Socrates
10. “True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.” – Socrates
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, better known as Mahatma Gandhi, was a prominent Indian political leader who campaigned for Indian independence. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. Today, he is referred to as the “Father of the Nation” in India.
Here is a collection of 10 Inspiring and powerful quotes from Mahatma Gandhi.
Quotes From Mahatma Gandhi
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“The future depends on what you do today.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Inspirational quotes trigger something within us when we read them. They activate our emotions and sometimes when they resonate with us they increase our pulse and get our juices, whether creative or critical thinking, flowing.
Quotes can offer up a bit of encouragement or a starting point, push, or reaffirmation of a way forward. Quotes open the door for encouragement but you have to walk through that door and apply what you are reading to your life.
“I believe that sometimes in order to see the positives in life when we are going through a storm, is to recognise and be mindful that storms don’t last forever & that you will come out stronger, more aligned & full of growth” Tegan Ingoe